We’ve received some unfortunate news from one of our customers who has recently lost their feathered companions through Teflon poisoning. This is the very sad email we received.
"I’ve recently lost both my birds to Teflon poisoning, which happened in a matter of minutes. Although we were aware that if Teflon is overheated this can happen, we have used this tin on numerous occasions over the last 10 years with no problem. However on this occasion the oven was a bit hotter and resulted in the loss of both of our beautiful birds. “
The customer goes on to say:
“I was aware of the dangers but over the years you forget these things. If you read into it even melting butter in a very hot pan can also cause problems, as can a smoky atmosphere and the birds don’t even have to be in the same room.”
Because of the tragic passing of his birds, the customer has asked us to raise awareness of this danger to help remind other bird owners to be careful.
So let’s remind ourselves of the dangers around our home and what we can do to limit and remove these dangers from our Parrot’s lives.
Liz Wilson compiled a list of household dangers and sensible precautions which you can read here.
In it, she describes how when non stick cookware and coatings are exposed to high temperatures, the coating on overheated pans, like Teflon, may release a deadly odourless gas, which could cause your Parrot to die in minutes, as sadly happened with our customer.
There are other dangers that aren’t as well known. PTFE or polytetrafluroethylene is found in many irons, ovens, stoves, hair dryers, curling irons, woks and other well known household appliances. PTFE isn’t just found in the kitchen, and just because something is labelled non-stick, you should still be wary about using it around your bird.
It’s better to be safe than sorry, so products containing non stick coatings should NEVER be used in a bird household. Check all the labels on products carefully before you buy them.
There is lots more health and safety advice for you to read here.
To be the first to read blogs like this, plus exclusive offers and the latest Parrot news, sign up to our newsletter. If you have a friend who you think may find this useful, feel free to share